In this article, we'll help you to collect all of your exterior ideas in one place so that you can get more clarity with your exterior project. We've also created a "Downloadable Exterior Planning Checklist" that you can use to help you plan your exterior renovation.
If you have a lot of ideas in mind of how you’d like to spruce up your outdoors but aren’t quite sure where to start, make your way through this checklist: noting which items are “musts”, “nice-to-haves” or “don’t needs”.
Home exterior updates
Firstly, ask yourself the following:
- What are my main priorities within this landscaping project?
- What style do I gravitate toward? (e.g. coastal, native, luxury, rustic etc.)
- Are my ideas going to match the style of my home?
- What is my budget range?
- Have you checked your calendar for the most convenient time of year to carry out a landscaping project?
- Have you considered how this landscaping work might affect your lifestyle?
- Have you considered the climate, orientation, soil type and other local conditions like wind, rainfall and drainage?
Now, consider if each item is a must-have, nice-to-have or not important…
- Edible vegetable garden
- Landscaped lawn
- Artificial grass
- Retaining walls or terraced sections
- Raised garden beds
- Native plants
- Flower garden/s
- Deciduous trees
- Tree or plant removal
- Automated irrigation systems
- Rainwater system
- Greywater system
- Decking - wood, composite, bamboo, stone, concrete, brick
- Patio - concrete pavers, stone, brick, ceramic tiles
- Built-in seating
- Outdoor fireplace
- Outdoor oven
- Outdoor kitchen
- Swimming pool
- Spa pool
- Outdoor shower
- Outdoor entertainment system
- Kids play area - playground, sports, playhouse etc.
- Pergola or outdoor room/coverage
Functionality - Safety Features
- New fencing - vinyl, wood, stone, metal, concrete, composite
- Gates - vinyl, wood, stone, metal, concrete, composite
- Automated gates
- Outdoor lighting
- Smart-bulb lighting
- Automated home security system
- Indoor/outdoor flow
- Firewood shed
- Sun and warmth optimisation
- Space for pets
- Wheelchair accessibility to your home
Maintenance - Updating
- Re-cladding – timber, metal, brick and stone, composite, stucco, fibre cement, vinyl PVC siding
- Re-roofing – concrete tile, clay tile, vinyl asphalt, metal, solar, rubber slate
- New front door – wooden, steel, French, fibreglass, themed
- New driveway – gravel, sealed, concrete, brick, green
- New garage/carport
- Exterior painting
- Street presentation/adding value